Friday, April 11, 2008

A lamp shade?

In a few weeks, Craftster is having a contest on making your own lamp/light or lamp/light accessory. So for fun, I decided to go ahead and make something for this one, though I doubt I will enter it into the contest. What do you guys think?








To make this, I took some styrofoam squares that had come from some packaging and painted them in the colors that coordinated with my room. I was in a rush, so I didn't let the paint dry, even though I should have. Anyway, to hold it together, I took several toothpicks and painted them in another matching color, in this case orange (in case you can't tell), and let those dry. Once they were ready, I arranged the styrofoam the way I thought it would look best and started sticking the toothpicks in. Because I was rushing, I accidentally let one go through the styrofoam and had to glue the piece that fell off back on, but if you take your time and make sure everything is dry, this would be a fun project to do. For now I have it sitting over my Glade light show light (which I love by the way), but it doesn't look as good there as I had hoped it would. I'd like to make it into a real lamp shade, but I'm not certain how to go about doing that right now, so I'll probably have to look around and figure out how I can do that with this project. Still, this was fun to make and if you wanted, you can decorate it anyway you like and have a very reasonably priced lampshade that you can constantly change to go with your decor.



Oh, and if you need some inspiration to make some awesome projects on the low budget side, check out these awesome Craftster creators. They have some incredible stuff that they spend $10 and under on!


No comments:

Post a Comment