Thursday, August 14, 2014

Luella Purse Makeover

I have had this old Luella Graffiti purse for some time.  Over the years it's gotten very dingy and dirty and stained and has been in need of a bit of a face lift.  So I decided I would spruce it up with a little bit of paint.  However I don't keep fabric paint around much and I didn't want to tackle it with fabric paint pens (it's a pretty big purse after all), so I dug through my supplies and found that I have some Delta Creamcoat Textile Medium.  I've never used it before, but apparently it takes regular acrylic paint and turns it into fabric paint.  I don't have any other Delta Creamcoat paints on hand, as I usually just buy the Apple Barrel brand.  I mixed them up according to the instructions on the bottle anyway, and tried them out.  The worse that would happen I figured would that I ruined an old purse and wasted a little bit of paint. 

The results turned out a bit better then I expected.  The medium seemed to work fine with the paint and while the fabric soaked most of it up pretty quickly, it still spread and covered well.  I even added some embellishments with regular fabric pens (sorry, I don't know the names of them right off).  The instructions say to heat set the paint which I haven't had time to do yet, and to let it dry for 7 days so it's not quite finished, but here's what it looks like so far.  I decided to use the same style I've been doing for my mixed media work lately, as I really like the look it gives.  I only used three colors of paint so that it wouldn't overpower the purse and so the white would still shine through as well as the original graffiti design.  I really am pleased with how it turned out and can't wait to finish it so that I can start using it again!  

(Sorry the pictures aren't very good, especially of the before.  I forgot to take them before I started painting!)


No comments:

Post a Comment